Victorian Challenge and Enrichment Series
Free Learning Programs for high ability students supported by the Department of Education and Training
Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria is a proud partner of the Victorian Challenge and Enrichment Series which provides opportunities for high-ability Victorian Government school students to participate in the innovative Designed by Nature Biomimicry Program.
If you're a Victorian Government School Teacher, apply today!
Term 1, 2022:
- February 22nd (Secondary – Online)
- February 28th (Primary – Online)
- March 2nd (Primary – In-person – Melbourne)
- March 10th (Secondary – In-person – Melbourne)
- March 17th (Primary – In-person – Cranbourne)
- March 23rd (Primary/Secondary – In-person – GEELONG BOTANIC GARDENS)*
- March 31st (Secondary – In-person – Cranbourne)
- April 5th (Primary/Secondary – In-person – AUSTRALIAN BOTANIC GARDEN SHEPPARTON)*
Term 2, 2022:
- April 28th (Primary – Online)
- May 4th (Primary – In-person – Cranbourne)
- May 10th (Primary – In-person – Melbourne)
- May 26th (Secondary – In-person – Cranbourne)
- May 31st (Secondary – Online)
- June 7th (Melbourne – In-person – Melbourne)
Dates for Term 3 & 4 VCES programs and Term 2, 3 & 4 *VCES Regional COMING SOON!!
*VCES Regional are in-person programs at Regional Botanic Gardens for regional students.
Designed by Nature Biomimicry Program
This new STEM-based program engages students in the emerging discipline of biomimicry (design inspired by nature). Government school students will observe the tried and tested biological strategies and patterns of nature and learn how nature can be used for design inspiration, and problem-solving. The program is a full-day experience split across two sessions, culminating in a mini Biomimicry Design Challenge.
The program is led by our Biomimicry Specialist Facilitators and accompanied by an online Resource Pack. Students will come away having participated in a bio-design challenge and an invaluable perspective for future careers in STEM.
- This program is available either online or in-person at our Gardens.
- Choose from the set dates outlined above or contact us to enquire about availability for a private session.
Year Three to Year Eight
Session 1: Bio-design Introduction (AM)
- Learn examples of bio-inspired inventions and come face-to-face with the plants and systems that influenced them
- Identify the tried and tested biological strategies of nature through guided nature observation
- Come up with their own nature-inspired ideas
Session 2: Student Design Challenge (PM)
- Become biomimics, practicing nature-inspired engineering
- Utilise design thinking and STEM skills to apply the practice of biomimicry in a Design Challenge
- Distinguishing between ‘learning from’ and ‘learning about’ plants
- Exploring the function and form of plants
- Engaging in systems thinking
- Applying nature-inspired solutions to solve a student challenge
- Curriculum Links
Integrated STEM, Science, Mathematics, Technology, Design, and Critical and Creative