Volunteering at Melbourne Gardens
- Volunteer Guides lead visitors through the Gardens on guided walks and conduct special interest walks on a variety of topics.
- The Ian Potter Foundation Children’s Garden Volunteers are involved with horticultural duties and in assisting with various children's programs throughout the school holidays and school term.
- Garden Ambassadors have a passion for Melbourne Gardens and all it stands for. They greatly enhance the visitor experience by informing and engaging with visitors on a one to one basis, through various seasonal activities and special events.
We are not taking applications for these positions currently. For further information, please contact Jane Griffin, Volunteer and Friends Coordinator at Melbourne Gardens, on 03 9252 2331 or via email.
- Herbarium Volunteers curate a variety of pressed and dried botanical specimens consisting of recently collected as well as historical 19th Century plant specimens. The specimens are carefully secured onto archival card using stitches and paper strips. This is fine, delicate work that requires attention to detail and patience. Some volunteers curate moss, algae and fungi specimens, some assist with varied computer tasks, such as data entry, and others assist with incorporating the curated specimens into the cupboards in the main collection.
Most of our volunteers stay with us for many years, resulting in a low need for recruitment. We currently have a waiting list of people wanting to volunteer and at this time, the waiting time for volunteering can be up to several years.
For more information, and a copy of our application form, please contact Casey Jurgens, Team Leader Collections Volunteers via email.
- Herbarium Library Volunteers work on specific research and cataloguing projects, and on general library tasks.
We currently have a waiting list for people wanting to volunteer. If you would like to add your name to the waiting list or for more information, please contact the Librarian on email@example.com.
Volunteering at Cranbourne Gardens
- Garden Ambassadors have a passion for Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne, in particular the Australian Garden. They greatly enhance the visitor experience by informing and engaging with visitors on a one-to-one basis, through various seasonal activities and special events, and via the provision of guided tours of the Australian Garden.
For further information or to express interest in the next intake, please contact Cranbourne Gardens on 03 5990 2200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org