The road between Cranbourne Gardens and South Gippsland Highway, Ballarto Road east, is currently under roadworks. Detours are in place to the Gardens entrance. Entry through Ballarto Road west is from Frankston-Cranbourne Road at the intersection including Pearcedale Road.
Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne is 50km from Melbourne's CBD and approximately a 50 minute drive.
Cranbourne Gardens is open every day of the year except Christmas Day. Entry is free, except for special ticketed events.
The opening hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Please note that the last entry is at 4:30pm, and that the visitor centre is open between 9:00am and 4:30pm.
For detailed accessibility information, please visit our accessibility page.
The most direct way to travel to Cranbourne Gardens is by car or private coach.
East Gate – Corner Botanic Drive and Ballarto Road, Cranbourne (Junction Village).
West Gate – 1000 Ballarto Road, Cranbourne (there is a section of gravel road).
- Drive down the Monash Freeway (M1) and then turn off at the South Gippsland Freeway (M420). Signs will be for Cranbourne and Phillip Island.
- The next turn-off with signs to Cranbourne and Phillip Island takes you onto the South Gippsland Highway (still the M420). Take this exit and follow the South Gippsland Highway through the town of Cranbourne.
- On the southern side you will see signs pointing to the turn-off for the botanic gardens and the Australian Garden. The turn-off is located approximately 500m past the Cranbourne Racecourse.
There is a free carpark at the entrance to both the Australian Garden and the Bushland areas. You can find it on the Interactive Map here.
Please be mindful that wildlife also use the bitumen roads in Cranbourne Gardens and that caution should be taken to keep the wildlife toll down.
The closest train station to the gardens is Cranbourne Station, which is the last train station on the Cranbourne line. The station is 6km (by car) from Cranbourne Gardens.
The Cranbourne Gardens Shuttle Bus can be booked for transport between Cranbourne Train Station and Cranbourne Gardens for community members and tourists, including those with mobility challenges. The 8 seater bus is comfortable, wheelchair accessible (x1 chair) and has a fully compliant baby seat (for carers with prams).
Please contact the Cranbourne Gardens Visitor Centre on 03 5990 2262 or book online using the buttons below to make a request from Cranbourne Station to Cranbourne Gardens and your return from Cranbourne Gardens to Cranbourne Station
We will do our very best to assist you, pending driver availability at your desired visit time.
Book the Shuttle Bus from Cranbourne Station to Cranbourne Gardens
Book the Shuttle Bus from Cranbourne Gardens to Cranbourne Station
There are two options for cyclists travelling from Cranbourne train station to Cranbourne Gardens.
Option 1: South Gippsland Highway
Turn left out of the station car park and then turn right at South Gippsland Highway (High Street); continue for 1.6km.
Once you get to the corner of South Gippsland Highway and Sladen Street, there is a bicycle track on the right hand side of the South Gippsland Highway, which takes you to Ballarto Road along the edge of the Cranbourne Racecourse. Turn right at Ballarto Road and ride until you reach Cranbourne Gardens' main entry. The ride is approximately 4.5km to the front entry.
Option 2: Route to avoid shopping district traffic
- Depart Cranbourne Station
- Head north-west on Station St towards Fairfield St - 160m
- Turn left at Fairfield St - 210m
- Continue onto Tucker St - 400m
- Turn left at Clarendon St - 210m
- Turn right at McLaren Ave - 400m
- Turn left at Cranbourne Dr - 75m
- Turn right at Scott St - 400m
- Turn left at Cranbourne Frankston Rd - 270m
- Turn right at South Gippsland Hwy - 2.0km
Once you get to the South Gippsland Highway, there is a bicycle track on the south side of Sladen Street, which takes you to Ballarto Road along the edge of the Cranbourne Racetrack. Turn right at Ballarto Road and ride until you reach Cranbourne Gardens' main entry. The ride is approximately 4.5km to the front entry.
Once you enter Cranbourne Gardens, cycle along the entry road approximately 2km to the Australian Garden car park. There are bike racks located both in the car park and next to the Visitor Centre. Signs and maps throughout the Gardens show the bicycle loop around the bushland. Please be aware that bicycle tracks are shared paths with pedestrians.