Investigate carbon in the environment and how it relates to climate change.
Students will learn about the carbon cycle and the impacts of a changing climate on species survival. They will discover the role fungi plays in balancing the ecosystem and the importance of soil carbon sequestration. Through real-life examples, students will examine how organisations are responding to climate change and be challenged to consider what they can do themselves at home and school.
- Discuss climate change mitigation and how they can reduce their carbon footprint
- Measure a tree to calculate its carbon content
- Cultivate their own plant to take home (Melbourne Gardens)
- Nature of carbon (the carbon cycle)
- Role of trees and soil in the natural carbon cycle
- How to respond to climate change
- Level 7-10 Geography and Science